Tuesday 15 July 2008

Home again

We've just returned from Queensland from a week's holiday on the Gold Coast. I decided not to take my lap top and to have a break. I did have a review book to read. 'Finding Darcy' by Victorian author Sue Lawson was a great read. I read it straight through (one of the luxuries of holidays) sitting on the balcony of our apartment.

I also needed to work on my words for my friend Lorraine's new book 'Ratwhiskers and Me' which she'd asked me to launch. I had a drafted speech but of course it needed work. Hmm. What to do? I bought a A4 notebook and wrote it all out again long hand then tweaked and practised it. Finding things to say about this wonderful verse novel was not hard, but it's a while since I'd worked longhand. Good thing to do. The launch was on Sunday in Bendigo and went well. I was hoping to have some pics to post but my camera was full. Perhaps I'll get to see some of Lorraine's pics and can post some.

Now, it's back to work. I'm working on some very short readers based on traditional tales. Great to read the stories from countries like Indonesia and Vietnam, interesting challenge reducing them to language appropriate for 5-7 yo readers.

No comments: