Monday 10 November 2014

Herring Island


Yesterday, we took the punt to Herring Island. As you do.

Actually, as I've not done. Ever. But have been keen to do for some years. It's a man-made island in the middle of the Yarra around Richmond/Toorak (depending on which bank of the Yarra you're on).

I knew little about it beyond that it was home to some sculptures.

I know more now, but I'll let you discover that for yourself if you wish. But I will share my yesterday. We were visiting Herring Island for a bush poetry event at the invitation of the new Riverkeeper Andrew Kelly and his team.


This is Herring Island from the punt jetty on the Toorak bank.


This is the punt that ferried us across.


These are the bubbles that show where the A-frame welcome sign flew and then sank.


 Here are the sculptures. At intermission we charged our glasses, nibbled on cheese and wandered the island to find them.


 



The weather was clement (is that even a word on its own? I must check). I did just check and 'clement' means 'mild'. That sort-of fits, but really the appropriate word is glorious.


I really liked this sculpture, like the prow of a ship, or in this case the island. It's easy to imagine it sailing on downstream.


This is not a sculpture, more a found object, but I liked it anyway.


Hard to really tell here but that stone ball is bigger than the opening.


Stone cone. Of course.


More not-sculpture but sitting in the bush to be found, just like the sculptures.


Another not-sculpture




Bit tricky to see but this one extended the length of the cleared space, stepping stones of a sort. Or a serpent, or ...


Not a sculpture but a very patient photographic subject.


Reassembling for the second half of the bush poetry event. A range of poetry, some original and others recited from Aussie favourites. Some songs too. 

Happy now. I've been to Herring Island. 



No comments: